Sunday, June 12, 2011

Thank You Cards for US Troops

Hi, everyone! While I was surfing the Internet last week, I came across a story on the Bazzill blog about a young man with a very special project. Ten-year-old Stephen Goodman, a fifth-grader in Surprise, Arizona, wants to send a thank you card to all military personnel. Not to one platoon, or to just one division, but to every actively deployed service member in the U.S. military.

Donations are being accepted from anyone creating handmade thank you cards on Stephen’s behalf. For every five cards and envelopes sent to Bazzill, the maker will be entered into a drawing to win two FREE tickets to the last Creative Escape 2011 (travel and accommodations, not included). Cards must be received by July 1, 2011. Click here to go to the Bazzill blog and read all about it: Bazzill Basics Paper.

This week on my show, I created two simple cards that could be easily recreated and mass produced for this project. I will be sending twenty-five of these cards to Bazzill for Stephen's project. I think it is amazing that such a young boy cares so deeply about our country and our soldiers and I think he needs to be supported in his efforts. As many of you know, Mr. Lifeguard is active duty military and was deployed to Afghanistan a year ago. I am grateful for his service and his safe return, and I want to let the other men and women serving overseas know that we are here for them & appreciate their sacrifice.

Here is the first card:




This card uses an older paper line that is not currently available. However, there are two very nice patriotic lines available right now that would make lovely cards if you don't have papers in your stash that will work: Bo Bunny "Liberty" and K & Company "Americana".

To see this first card coming together, check out the UStream recording from Thursday afternoon's show: Thank You Card for Troops #1.


Here is the second card:




To see this second card coming together, check out the UStream recording from Thursday evening's show: Thank You Card for Troops #2.

Inside each card is a note from Mr. Lifeguard and me that reads as follows:

I cannot find the words to express how grateful my husband and I are that you are putting yourself in harm's way to protect our country. The USA is the land of the free and the home of the brave because of courageous men and women like you. We wish you and your fellow service members complete safety throughout your tour of duty. May you return home soon to a true hero's welcome. Thank you.

The sentiment above is adapted from one I found on an electronic thank you card website. To see the original and other suggestions for thank you cards for soldiers overseas, check out this website: Let's Say Thanks.

Even though these two card designs are patriotic in nature, both could easily be adapted for any card you needed to send several of ~ birthday party invitations, thank you notes, even Christmas cards!

I hope you enjoyed these cards & that you will join me helping Stephen reach his wonderful goal of sending a thank you note to every man and woman serving our country overseas.

~Kathryn :D
thank you

11 comments:

  1. thanks for supporting this - my son has served in Afghanistan in bomb disposal so I know how important it is that our uk and us service folk know they are in the thoughts of others

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome, Esther! I am grateful for your son's service and your sacrifice. My heart goes out to all the troops and their families ~ Americans, Australians, Canadians, British and everywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for supporting such a worthy cause. My son-in-law is currently serving in Afghanistan. He is in one of the most dangerous parts of that country and is in harms way every single day as are many others. I truly hope we do our best to not forget that they are fighting for our freedom. Let's show them that they are appreciated, we at that very least owe them that. Thanks again.
    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sammie, I hope your son-in-law comes home soon & unharmed! I am grateful for his personal sacrifice and for the sacrifice of your family. May peace come to our nation soon, so these brave men and women can come home to their families!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What timing! A good friend of my daughters' lost his life last week in Afghanistan. He was only 22. We need to show our support to each of these men and women serving to keep us safe regardless of our opinions on war.Their sacrifice is like non-other! Please ladies...send some cards so they know we support them and that their efforts are appreciated.
    "Memorial Day" has definitely taken on a new meaning for our family.
    Thank you, Kathryn for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to read about your daughter's loss, Lexi! I agree with you that regardless of our personal thought on the war, be need to thank and support the men and women who sacrifice for our country. These cards are a good way to let them know we care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope everyone comes home soon and safe. LOVE these cards!!!
    xxx
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this post and the Bazzill link. I have several friends coming by on Friday to visit, so I have everything ready for all of us to make cards. I hope young Stephen can reach his thoughtful goal so that every man/woman serving will know how we appreciate their service!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like so much fun, Gail! It was so nice of you to think of Stephen's project for your crafty day & to get everything prepared for your friends like that. :D I hope you guys have a blast making your cards & thank you so much for supporting this!

    ~Kathryn :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sending some in tommorrow and have some friend that are doing the same. This is a great cause and thank you for posting this Kathryn!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome, Sara! A huge THANK YOU to you and your friends!

    ~Kathryn :D

    ReplyDelete