Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Journaling: Typed vs. Handwritten

Hi, everyone! Welcome back to Life on the {Scrap}beach!

Probably the most common question I get asked regarding my videos is, "What is that grid paper you are using?" The vast majority of my projects ~ at least 80% of them ~ use patterned paper from the the Scenic Route Paper Co.'s Background Papers Collection. Now, I don't want to sound overly dramatic here, but these papers have totally changed my life!


Okay, so maybe they're not life-changing, but they definitely changed the way I scrapbook!

Before I learned about these papers, I did all of my journaling on the computer. I spent a great deal of time on formatting, choosing the right font, finding the perfect piece of cardstock, cutting it down to the perfect size, printing it out, etc., etc. My journaling looked great, but it was very time consuming and often frustrating. I love my own handwriting but I have trouble writing in a straight line. It was very difficult to draw lines in pencil, journal, erase them, etc., so I just used the computer.

When I first saw these papers, I was in a scrapbook store. I turned down an aisle and there they were, bathed in an ethereal golden light. I think I actually heard a choir of angels singing, too, although I can't be sure about that. I knew that the way I scrapbooked was going to change. The papers were neutral enough that they would work for any layout or project, and they would help me write in a straight line. Now when I journal, all I do it grab one of these papers, cut it down to the size I need and start scribbling. Voila! Instant journaling!

My layouts come together so much faster now, and I like the look of them so much better. There is a little piece of me on every page ~ right there and part of the design. And the perfectionist in me is not bothered by crooked writing! It's a win-win! I now only use the computer if I have a ton to write on a particular topic and there is just no way to get it all on there with my writing.

Kathryn
Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

No comments:

Post a Comment