Monday, November 25, 2013

Luminaries: Home for the Holidays

 
 
Welcome back, and thanks for joining me! I hope you all have your Thanksgiving menus planned out.
 
Beachmum and I put the final touches on our game plan Saturday and we're going to the grocery store this afternoon to get all the supplies. I know it's going to be delicious due to the sheer number of times butter, heavy cream, sour cream and cream cheese came up on the ingredient lists.
 
 

Thanksgiving Menu

Roast Turkey with Citrus and Peppercorn Dry Brine, Bon Appetit Magazine
 
Pork and Sage Stuffing, Beachpop's Family Recipe
No recipe exists. It's all done by eyeballing and tasting. We make it in the sink.
 
Green Bean Casserole, Food Network
 
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes, Bon Appetit Magazine
 
Salt and Pepper Biscuits, Bon Appetit Magazine
 
Pumpkin, Caramel and Pecan Cheesecake, Kraft Foods
 
Cranberry Margaritas, Annie's Eats
 
 

Luminaries

I saw these wonderful house shaped luminaries on the Decor8 blog. There was a free template to go along with them, too. I thought they'd look wonderful decorating a mantle or dinner table during the holidays.
 
Click HERE to view the blog post and download the FREE templates.
 
 
Since these luminaries will be made from paper, I recommend using a battery operated tea light. Nothing spoils a holiday dinner quite like a visit from the local fire department.

 
What are you cooking up this year?
 
Kathryn :D

10 comments:

  1. I am slow smoking a ham, dijon mustard, brown sugar, and pineapple juice. We are also having baked turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having Roast Turkey with cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, early English peas, green bean casserole,cranberry sauce AND to celebrate with our Jewish friends,matzah ball soup. Then pumpkin pie.Thank you for sharing the luminaries AND did you see the cauliflower soup recipe? Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying cornbread stuffing for Christmas this year. Beachmum tried to sneak it in for Thanksgiving but it got vetoed by the traditionalists. :) Your menu sounds yummy!

      Delete
  3. We'll be heading out of town to visit family. I'm not allowed to cook since I tend to burn a lot of things. ;-) I'm in charge of wine and clean up. We'll be having turkey and ham with all the fixin's, plus 3 pies to choose from (at least that's what we hear the plan is). I will be taking the luminary templates along and make some with my niece for their holiday decorations. Thanks for the links. BTW, they aren't on the Decor8 blog as far as I can tell, which I checked separately. The link you provided does take you to them correctly at http://www.yvestown.com/blog. I told her you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you burn a lot of things, it's best to stay out of the kitchen entirely on Thanksgiving. :) Being in charge of wine is a good job, though. I love that you will be crafting with your niece - what a great idea!

      Delete
  4. My husband feels that Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are cast in stone ... dessert is the only deviation ... we have turkey, with my dad's stuffing recipe, gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli onion casserole, mashed turnip and mashed sweet potatoes and apple and don't forget the can of cranberry jelly ... if I want I can add extras, but the basics have to be there and don't even think of adding anything out of the ordinary to the turkey or dressing ... fortunately the Canadian Thanksgiving is almost 3 months before Christmas so we're not having the same big meal too close together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of years where the recipe was cast in stone. There is always at least one person whose favorite dish is XYZ who screams that you can't mess with XYZ or it will ruin Thanksgiving. Luckily, though, they are not as picky about Christmas so we can mix it up a bit in December.

      Delete
  5. We are having roast turkey and ham; mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet potato bake, all DH's own recipes developed over 33 years of marriage - except the ham, which will be Honey Baked. My son's girlfriend from Michigan is making macaroni & cheese with velveeta cheese, green bean casserole (with fresh green beans - our son insisted and agreed to prepare the beans, she wanted canned); she is also making stuffing with bagged bread crumbs, and a potato bake from frozen hash browns, all to the chagrin of certain members of the family. DH and DS are also making 4 pies. Grandpa is bringing a case of wine; my sister is bringing wild rice (I think), not sure, one niece may be bringing parleyed potatoes, also not sure, we are having 24 people. Pie crusts are DH's grandma's recipe. We may also have random other stuff, who knows. Oh yea, sister is bringing random hors doeurves. We'll have coffee, decaf and real, and espresso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been invited to our newest daughter-in-law's family gathering this year. I volunteered to make collards, rutabagas, deviled eggs and my grandmother's pear salad. I haven't made that in year and it was a favorite when I was a kid. Everyone thinks is sounds terrible when I tell them about it. But, I love it. Hubby is in charge of the wine. And it's his 58th birthday!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete