Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Life Lessons from a Butterfly

Hi, everyone! I hope by now you're all recovered from the crop this weekend! I had a great time, despite UStream being a colossal pain in the ... neck.

I wanted to share with you one of the layouts I created with some of my photos from my birthday trip to the butterfly preserve. We were lucky enough to see a butterfly emerging from his chrysalis & it got me thinking about some changes in my life. I tend to be pretty resistant to change, but I have had some pretty dramatic ones forced upon me. Some of these, I never would have chosen for myself, but they ended up being very, very good for me. So with all that in mind, I created this layout:





The titles of this layout is "Changes" and the quote by Richard Buckminster Fuller to the side of the photo array reads: There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly. This quote struck me particularly because sometimes when change is before me, there is no part of me that thinks it is going to be good. When looking at the caterpillar, it is hard to imagine the butterfly.

The tab at the top right of the layout that reads "NOTES" is actually a journaling tag. It pulls out to reveal my thoughts from watching the butterfly emerge ~ basically what I've written in this blog post about embracing change.

The background paper with the butterflies, as well as the cream and black polka dot paper, are from the Prima "Flights of Fancy" paper collection. The ledger style paper is from the Making Memories 8"x8" Slice Ledger pad. The green damask strip, the cream text strip with the black damask and the red bordered tag that reads "Avian" are from the 7 Gypsies "Conservatory" collection. All edges are distressed with the Zutter Distrezz-It-All & then inked with Ranger Distress Ink in "Tea Dye". The key is from the K & Company "Life's Journey" embellishments and the butterfly is cut from the background paper {under the photo, where you can't see}. The title letters are from the Making Memories "Noteworthy" collection & the small alphas are from Making Memories as well. The pearls are from Close to My Heart & the tiny paper clip is from Tim Holtz.

I hope you enjoyed the layout! If you'd like to see it coming together, I worked on it during the Virtual Crop. You can see the recordings below:

"Changes" Layout, Part One
"Changes" Layout, Part Two

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed the layout!

~Kathryn :D
ch-ch-ch-changes

10 comments:

  1. love the changes of the butterfly TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely layout! I am a butterfly lover and this is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout! Thanks for the crop...it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the layout. The photos are gorgeous! It was really fun watching it all come together. The layout is very symbolic and meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much you guys! I loved these photos and am so happpy I was able to give them a home on a lovely layout that I am happy with. I think I am going to check at Michael's for a frame for them and hang it on the wall of my living room so I can keep looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!
    ~Jill

    p.s. thanks for all your help yesterday, It works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this layout! so pretty...Oh, and this week at michaels frames are on sale ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip, Beth! I will have to check out my Michael's tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This page is simply stunning and I will be doing a scrap lift from this. The style is beautiful.

    I gave you a blog award. I hope you accept.

    http://samatboohockey.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-blog-award.html

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete