Monday, August 3, 2009

2008 Election Page, Part One

Hi, everyone! Welcome back to Life on the {Scrap}beach!

I was inspired by Nichol Magouirk's July 2009 "Celebrate the Seasons" video to create a 12"x24" layout about the 2008 Presidential Election with lots of patriotic colors and embellishments.

{SIDE NOTE: Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Nichol Magouirk!? She is one of my favorite Garden Girls over at Two Peas in a Bucket!}

I don't consider this page a political page as much as I consider it an historical/archival page. I wanted to do a page about this election because I really felt, as a nation, that we were making history. And, being a history major, this sort of milestone REALLY gets me excited. Most likely it is my interest in history that makes me feel it is important for me to scrapbook about the times I live through as well as the living I do in those times ~ but I feel both types of scrapping will be equally interesting to me down the road.





This layout uses papers and embellishments from the Scenic Route Paper Co.'s "Liberty" collection.

Anyway, all heavy political/historical talk aside, I hope you enjoyed the video! Thanks so much for watching!

Kathryn
Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

6 comments:

  1. I love the video! I have been planning to scrap this historical event as well. I saved all the papers and memoribilia I had at the time. It is not often in these times that, as a country, we have a first. This was absolutely history in the making and regardless of your feelings or politcal views, I think as a scrapbooker it is our duty to put down our thoughts and feelings to paper. This is the type of scrapbook page that our grandchildren will be really interested in! Wow, grammy was alive and voted when the first black president was elected. Here is what she thought about it. She voted for or against and why. Good or bad, happy or upset about the outcome. These are the things that, in my opinion should be scrapped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, This is such a great LO! I have been holding on to the idea of doing a LO of this election for many reasons too. The obvious one: History in the making. But also my scrubby became a US citizen just in time to vote in this election so I have several reasons to memorialize this date and the days leading up to it :-)

    And as far as your ceiling fan reflecting on your glass mat...... don't worry about it!!! It still reflects off all the surfaces with any shine to them. Your in a very HOT climate it's not that distracting! You need to be comfortable in your creative, "R" rated, Scrap Cave... He He He
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Amy, I totally agree with you about this page, this past election. I think we can narrow our focus as scrapbookers a little too much onto ourselves, our family and our smaller community & forget the bigger picture. There's absolutely nothing wrong with focsing on ourselves, but I think a big part of us is how we act and feel in the larger world and about larger events.

    Hope, that's such a cool page to do ~ your husband voting in the US for the first time! Awesome! :D I have decided to just have the glass mat on the desk only when I'm cutting is a good compromise. That will cut down on the flickering without me overheating and passing out!

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Kathryn .. another great layout!! super IDEAS YOU HAVE!! LOVE IT!
    WITH A GRIN
    STEFFOGAL1
    http://withagrin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kathryn,

    I'm writing from France, I live near Lyon. I would like you to know that I adore your job. Your creations are great and inspire me a lot. Your layout about the 2008 Presidential Election is very simple and wonderful in the same time.
    Thanks for your videos !
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much, Nathalie! It is wonderful that you are getting inspiration from my videos ~ that make me very happy!I hope you continue to enjoy projects as they come!

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete