Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Incorporating Memorabilia

Hi, everyone! Welcome back to Life on the {Scrap}beach!

Going through my earlier albums made me realize that I used to be much better about incorporating memorabilia into my scrapbooks than I am now. I actually loved seeing all the tickets, and business cards to favorite shops, and receipts and such, so I think I am going to make more of an effort to bring in more memorabilia.

To this end, I went through my memorabilia and organized it into various layouts so I know exactly what I have for which events.


These are tickets from a trip to Jungle Island I took with some friends and their kids when they came to Florida on vacation. I feel like what I need to do is think about how I'm going to use these tickets, and the maps, and then it won't be such an afterthought. Then I can start to come up with a layout in my mind and print the pictures to work with that vision.


It was definitely not easy to wrangle this box into something I could easily use!

When that was done, I went through some of my scrapbooks to remind myself of ways I have incorporated memorabilia in the past. My wedding scrapbook was especially helpful here because there was so much I wanted to incorporate that I had to come up with clever ideas. {Well, at least I think they're clever!} One of the things I did in my wedding album was cut slits in the page protectors so items would be interactive, such as this piece from the invitation:






I did again here so viewers could flip through the program:





On this page, I sandwiched inserts from my invitations between two sheets of cardstock that I stuck to each other with pop dots. I left space between the pop dots so you could pull these sheets out to view them:







I do have some layouts and mini albums that incorporated memorabiolia which you may be familiar with already.

Movie tickets, from my "Horrors" layout:





And pieces of a map from my "Seaquarium" mini album:





Anyway, I'm glad I did this post because I have all kinds of ideas now for our trip to Jungle Island, and our trip to Disney, and future tarvel layouts and amusement park layouts. I'm looking forward to having more memorabilia in my books!

Kathryn
Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy you posted this! I have been working on my wedding album (as you know) and the idea of cutting the page protectors never occured to me but this way the pages don't have to be pulled out to be interactive!! A lot of my pages have an interactive elemnt on them so this advice was so valuable to me! Thank you! Also, thank you for commenting on my video. Your compliments mean so much...really! I admire your talent and I suggested you be spotlighted on Amy's Picture and Paper life blog. I hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amy! I'm glad the idea of cutting slits in the page protectors will be helpful for you in your album. I have done it many times & I think it is probably better for pages with interactove elemtns in the long run than being taken in and out of the page protectors. Plus, it is much easier on the person acrually looking at the project! Thanks for recommending me to Amy's blog ~ I don't mind at all! I'm just happt you're finding so ,uch worthwhile here that you would make a recommendation!

    Thanks!

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa Kathryn!! You've been seriously busy! And what a wedding album.. I'm gonna go back and slowly look at each pict again!! :)
    Masterpieces... that are unique, special, lovely MAN O MAN!! LET'S JUST SAY -- I LOVE GOING TO YOUR BLOG AND EYEBALLING EVERY LITTLE THING YOU DO!! haa seriously..NO SERIOUSLY!! :) you inspire me so much Kathryn and I appreciate you! Thank you!!
    whoa!
    with a grin,
    steffogal1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Steff! I love all your comments! The wedding albums {albums, actually} is still ongoing {not sure it will ever end} but I am happy with what I have done so far! :D Glad you're enjoying the site!

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to

    say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Patricia

    http://lioneltrains.info

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Patricia! Welcome to my blog ~ I'm happy to hear you've been having a good time reading through the posts here. Glad you'll be coming back & always thankful to receive lovely comments like this one.

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete