Saturday, June 13, 2009

My {Scrap} Process: Cards

Hi, everyone! I hope you're enjoying Life on the {Scrap}beach!

This is the third in a three part series where I examine my creative process. This entry will focus on my process for creating cards. The first part focused on my process for creating layouts, and second part focused on my process for creating mini albums.

This entry is going to be quite a bit shorter than the others. My card-making process starts when I pull apart a page kit. If I have any cardstock scraps are big enough to make a card base {either 4.25"x11" or 5.5"x8.5"}, I cut them down into a card base right away and store them separately from my other cardstock scraps. This ensures that I always have a good stack of card bases in a variety of colors.

When I am making cards, I always make two. The reason being that I think it is just as easy to make two cards as it is to make one {since the hard part is coming up with the design} and making two gives me a good supply of "emergency cards" for when I need one in a hurry.

I start with my stamps, because I like to have one big stamped image to go with my sentiment. Then I choose my patterned paper and embellishments from there. I usually just grab scraps from one of my page kits that coordinates with my theme and my sentiment and go from there. And since most of my cards are mailed, I try to keep the design very simple ~ usually just some patterned paper strips, one large stamp and maybe some ribbon.

What's your card-making creative process?

Kathryn
Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

2 comments:

  1. I am not really a card maker. But I have a supply of pre made cards. The basics for birthday, thank you cards, babies. I always make my cards on a piece of card stock 4 1/4 in by 5 1/2 in. Later on when I need a card I will glue it to the card. It is much easier to just store this card faces. Some of the cards are from scraps, other of the cards are challanges. I also belong to a group and we make the card design, assemble one kit for each of the people participating, and we get together. Each one of us will take turns explaining the card, and demonstrating a technique used in the card, and then set up each card and all the kits for it. We will all move from place to place completing one of each card, and will go home with as many cards as the amount of people who participate. I also make Christmas cards. The cards I mail I try to keep simple, but a lot of the cards that I give away are in person, needless to say they are loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, my process for cards - I go one of two ways. 1) I look at Cards magazine or in my scrapjounal for cards that I liked. I then take their design and change it in my own ways and it ends up very different but more me! That is what I do when I need something quick. 2) I think of the person it is for (because I only have a few premade waiting to be sent cards, I usually make cards when I need them). My dad had a homemade card competition for his b-day this year andI knew right away what I wanted to do and went from there. It actually was a golf card with moving parts. I will show it on my blog b/c it is actually really awesome and I even submitted it to be in a magazine! Wow, babble much Amy! Anyway, I try to think of what the person's style is, if they would appreciate a moving or pop up card or if the basic flat card will work. I choose paper to fit their personalilty or the occasion. Then stamps, then ribbon etc. I love that it takes me hours to make a card and the person says, oh wow that is nice and it goes in the trash. Oh, well I still have fun making them.

    ReplyDelete