Monday, June 8, 2009

New Mini + Kit Club + Why Can't Tim Holtz and I Just Get Along?

Hi, everyone! Welcome back to Life on the {Scrap}beach!

For someone who is supposedly on vacation, I sure am posting a lot, huh? :D I really am on vacation, I promise, and not just slacking off and laying out beside my pool with a margarita pretending to be on vacation so I can ignore my blog.

Now I am trying to remember what the point of this post was supposed to be. I get side-tracked so easily! :D Oh, yes. There were three things I wanted to mention ~ new mini album, joined a kit club, Tim Holtz. Got it.

First, I am working on a new mini album. I've posted a slide show below, but I wanted to let you know a few things first: 1. it is not finished, and 2. the picture quality is not amazing {sorry!} because I snapped these shots with my iPhone, and 3. I did not make a video of it coming together, which 4. is not because I don't love you all very much but more because my cameras were already charged up and packed and I was too lazy to go and fish them out. Now, I promise that anything I do on the album after I get back from lying out by the pool vacationing at Disney World, I will put on video. And, at the very least, I will do a video of the completed project. In the meantme, I hope you will accept the humble offering of this slide show:





Right. That's covered, onto point number two: I joined a mini album trading kit club! Marion from A Piece of Craft invited me to join her mini album trading + kit club, "Girls Gone Scrappy" and I decided to join. The other girls are a blast to chat with online and everyone is super talented and fun. This month's kit was filled with stuff by Tim Holtz, and there is some great Basic Grey and K&Company kits coming up. I believe there may still some spots left, so email her at marion@apieceofcraft.com if you're interested or would like more information. I also included one of Marion's video below where she talks about the June kit, shows the mini album she made with the goodies & goes over what's included in the July kit:





Okay, so this month's kit was a ton of Tim Holtz stuff, and I have a confession to make: I cannot scrap like Tim Holtz. And I don't mean I'm not as good of a scapper as Tim Holtz, poor me. I mean I have some kind of acute mental block the prevents me from making things grungy and distressed. I love his projects, admire his art, gasp over the complex layers, wish I could do what he does, BUT I CANNOT RECREATE THE STYLE TO SAVE MY LIFE! Why Tim Holtz and I cannot get along is beyond me. Anyay, so I was determined to make an album with this kit that was grungy and distressed and just screamed "I have a Tim Holtz fixation!" and I think I did a pretty good job actually. Better than I have before at any rate.

So that's it ~ that's all I have to report today. Enjoy your weeks, I'm off to check out Animal Kingdom!

~Kathryn
Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

P.S. Happy birthday, Jill!

7 comments:

  1. OMGoodness!!! It's coming together beautifully!!! Can't wait to see the finished project :) Have fun on vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing a great job! It looks distressed and awesome. I love the tearing pages look. At least you are appreciated. I just finished one of Marion's Kits (Madeline) and showed my dad and he said it looked dirty. i said it is supposed to look weathered and he said it looks dirty. "What happens when your weathered book gets old and weathered?" He SO doesn't get it! Oh well, I guess no brown or black edges for any books for him huh?

    Also - Question - Do you always use the ATG gun for adhering paper to chipboard or do you use glue sticks or what? Please let mw know what you use and why if you do things differently for different applications. I am new and have only made 2 mini books. Help the newbie! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Kathryn! Whatcha talkin' about? You did some gorgeous pages here, Tim H or no Tim H. Can't wait for the video, but we love you so, enjoy your margaritas and I'll wait patiently
    :-)

    Gotta view your last installment now of the Seaquarium album (I really liked that mini; I can understand how it's easily one of your faves.)

    Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think it's looking great! It's coming out very beautifully and very distressed! I think you get along better with Tim Holtz than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are having a great time... Thank you for the birthday wishes, I am having a happy day playing with all my loot from GASC last weekend.
    Love the mini album, will catch up after your trip.
    Have fun,
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Kathryn :)

    i love the mini album your making, so cute! can't wait to see the finished album :) btw, im new in the kit club...hope to do my kit as soon as i have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, everyone! Thank for all your great comments ~ I've been on a little Disney vacation, so I haven't been able to respond as quickly as I normally would.

    I did end up finishing this album before I left & filmed a little video for you. I'll post t soon{ish} but I have to get myself organized here. It's amazing how everything gets so out of control in such a short amount of time! :D

    Mary, thanks so much for stopping by ~ I really appeciate your comments on the album. This was a tough one for me, so I'm happy to hear you like it so far! :D

    Hi, Amy, welcome! I use my ATG for almost everything. I definitely use it for covering chipboard with paper when I am doing mini albums. I don't do well with messy/liquid glue, so I try to minimize its use as much as possible!

    The other types of adhesive I use are Ranger Glossy Accents {for anything clear, slick, metal or oddly shaped}, Glue Dots {for bulky items like chipboard pieces or flowers} and Term-O-Web foam squares {for dimension}.

    Liz, thanks for stopping by ~ it's always nice to hear from you!:D I hope you enjoyed the rest of the Seaquarium mini album & I'll have some new videos posted soon.

    Thanks, Mrz. Botello, that's so nice to hear! I am very sensitive about what I view as my lack of distressing skills! :D I'm glad you like the album so far & maybe it will enable me to stay a card-carrying member of the Tim Holtz fan club!

    Jill, I hope your birthday was amazing & that you had fun playing with all your new GASC goodies! :D Looking forward to seeing what you created on your blog!

    Welcome to the kit club, craftstash! I know you will have tons of fun ~ it is a great group of girls!

    ~Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete