Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sharing {Funny} Scrapbooking Stories

Hi, everyone! Welcome back to Life on the {Scrap}beach!

So, I haven't mentioned this before, but I am really clumsy. I mean really, really clumsy. Like, one time I was leaning against a wall, not moving, and chatting with some friends and I fell over. Just literally fell over. {This actually happened years ago and the friends that were with me still bring it up: No, Susie, she just fell over! It was the strangest thing!} It is also a pretty common occurence for me to trip while walking on perfectly flat ground and walk into the walls of my house. Which, considering they haven't moved at all in the nine months we've lived here, is pretty sad.

When people look at me funny, I tell them I have an inner ear problem.

Basically this means that I spend a great deal of my time 1. looking strange, 2. hurting myself, and 3. pondering where I got XYZ bruise/scrape/cut/burn/etc., as I often don't remember.

This clumsiness also translates into my scrapbooking. I hurt myself a lot while I am scrapbooking. Like there was the time I thought my retractable X-Acto was retracted and went to click the button to make the blade pop out only to discover that 1. it wasn't retracted and 2. that wasn't the button that makes the blade pop out, it was the blade. Ouch! Who knew scrapping could be so dangerous? Not me!

My all time greatest scrapping blooper has got to be from when my friend and I altered an ATG together. For ease of storytelling, lets just call her "Kim." Which works out pretty well, because that's actually her name. Anyway, Kim and I were in the parking lot behind our local scrapbook store, taking a cropping break to alter her ATG. So we had put down newspaper all over the asphalt so we could spray primer on this ATG. It was going to start raining in about ten seconds, so we wanted to spray the gun quickly and then bring it inside before it got wet.

I don't remember if I thought Kim was taking too long, or if I didn't like her spray paint technique, or if I thought I was an ATG spray painting genius because this was the third one I was altering, but for whatever reason, I was all, "Kim, you're doing it wrong. Give me the spray paint." And she gave me the eyeroll that essentially means, "Yeah, whatever ~ I was handling this just fine on my own, but I am giving you what you want because you have crazy eyes." And then I, in my infinite wisdom and vast spray painting experience, said, "THIS is how you do it."

And then sprayed myself in the face. Right. In. The. Face.

Yes, ladies, I sprayed myself in the face with a can of black Krylon Fusion. Not only that, but my mouth was open. Yum! Then it just became a comedy of errors as Kim and I rolled around in the parking lot screeching with laughter and unable to speak or breathe. Then we did finally get the gun painted before the rain started falling but it was a near miss.

So, there's my funny/embarrassing scrapbooking tale. I want to hear yours! I know you have them: bizarre injurious, crop nightmares, strange photo ops, etc. Come on ~ don't be shy! I told you mine!

Kathryn
Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

21 comments:

  1. Kathryn, I am literally on the couch laughing out loud (all by myself). Too funny with the spray can. (Still wish you would move to RI) Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too Funny! I can relate to the exacto cut! I was getting ready for a class that I was taking with my mom at our local scrapbooking store. I was getting our class kits together (scissors, paper trimmer, glue dots, tape runner, etc.) She leaves all her scrapbooking suppplies at my house b/c she only scraps with me. I wanted to make sure her trimmer blade was sharp so I tried to feel it to see if it felt sharp (I know, not smart!) It was sharp alright! A small cut on my finger, no biggie, I'll survive. Then, I wanted to make sure her scissors were sharp as well (I know, you'd think I'd learn). She doesn't have real scrap scissors, just kitchen ones. I decided to sharpen them for her on my husband's knife and scissor sharpener. After doing that I noticed they were a bit dirty. You can see where this is going! I decided to clean them with a bit of warm water and a paper towel. By the way, I don't suggest sharpening then cleaning! The paper towel slipped and I sliced up one of my fingers really deep. Of course it was deep, those scissors had been expertly sharpened! Where you might be clumsy - I apparently have times when my brain stops thinking rationally! Love your spray paint story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That is hilarious! What did the other croppers say when you walked back into the store with a black face? I can only laugh so hard, though, as I'm the type to just randomly fall over, too. Actually, I just did it WHILE shopping at my lss on Tuesday! The owner, who knows me well, just looked at me and tried not to laugh, but failed at that attempt! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omigod...I just shot coffee right through my nose!

    (I'll be back later and share, preferrably after I clean myself up.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, I stil laugh out loud when I think of that incident! We laughed the rest of the night, too. We were sitting across the table from each other and we would catch each other's eye and just start cracking up!

    You should be glad I'm stuck in Miami ~ who knows what would happen to you if you got too close to me? :D

    Amy, ouch! That sounds like something I would do. I often think it's a good idea to test if pans are hot by touching them and similarly ridiculous methods. I know for one the way I check to see if m heat gun is hot enough to emboss is by aiming it at myself. These sorts of incident happen so often around here that my husband first checks to see if I am bleeding hard enough to go to the emergency room before excusing himself from the room to laugh his butt off!

    Jingle, the other croppers didn't get to see because I had brought baby wipes outside with me. This is because the first time I altered an ATG, I sprayed black Krylon Fusion on my left hand ~ ON MY ENGAGEMENT RING! So I had to run around frantic to get something to clean it up {which I did ~ phew!} and every since then I have made sure to have cleaning materials immediately to hand!

    Oh my gosh, Liz, my first coffee-shot-through-nose response ever! I am so excited! I feel like I am finally ablogger now. :D Thank you!

    Kathryn
    It's a jungle out there. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HaHAAAHeheheheee{snort, snort, snort}haahaahaahehehe...roflmao...{snort, snort, snort}

    ReplyDelete
  7. We luv ya, Kathryn - foibles and all. Keep up with your medical premiums, though, my friend (HAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm still guffawing over that Krylon *ahem* mishap)...honestly, people around me are looking at me now. I'm not even gonna bother explaining. These are things only scrappers can understand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, I'm so glad you're amused. Be careful not to choke, now! :D

    Liz, yes, must remember to make any and all necessary insurance payments ~ health, fire, etc. :D

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HeHeHehahaahaaha, starting to catch my breath, oh, wait a minute, HAAAAAWWWWWhahahaha sprayed it in your own face because you were going to show her how to do it "correctly", awwwwww,hahahahaha heheheeeeee {snort, snort} heheheeeheee....lol hahahaha
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got home and I had to bring up your site again. I swear it's funnier the second time around. NOW MY FAMILY IS LOOKING AT ME FUNNY.

    -Liz
    (the one who's snorting like Jill)

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I'll never be able to look at my ATG with a straight face ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, Liz, tell the truth now: doesn't your family ALWAYS look at you funny? I know mine does! :D

    Jill, I'm thinking about changing up that article I wrote an altering an ATG to include an additional step on spraying yourself in the face BEFORE spraying the gun.

    That is only real way to alter an ATG correctly, after all! :D

    Kathryn, Ph.D.
    Doctor of ATG Altering

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay, I've stopped laaauuugggghhhinggggg------
    aarrrghhhh, haahaahaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was not laughing when I was reading this. I was NOT laughing. I. Was. Not. Laughing! *snicker snort* Okay, so maybe I was. It should make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, though, knowing you brought humor to so many people.

    I don't have any scrapping bloopers to share (I'd have to actually scrapbook to do that and I am the best procrastinator about that) but I can relate to tripping over perfectly flat surfaces. I used to get embarrassed if anyone was around to witness it but now I just smile, shrug and say "I trip over flat surfaces"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all better now...
    Thanks for the laugh, obviously I needed it!
    Trip. over. FLAT. surfaces....hahahaaha (I will not lose it. I will not. lose. it. again!!)
    No, I'm okay!!!
    Kathryn, I wasn't laughing at you, I really wasn't I was laughing "with" you...lol!!♥♥
    and NO, I have the original instructions on how to "alter" the ATG, and it definately says, Beware, do not spray toward you!! (Now I know why...lol)
    I will not lose it again. I will not. lose. it. again, heehee. STOP!!!
    Have a great night, I will probably not be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning, side ache!
    Later,
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  16. *BeeCee*, like you, I am way past the point where I get embarrassed by my lack of coordination. I find it just as funny as everyone else & I have been laughing all day at the comments! You guys are cracking me up!

    Jill, I'm sorry to hear about your terrible side injury! :( I hope it doesn't get in the way of you enjoying your company! :D

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathryn, thank you for the laugh. You are such an inspiration. I will never be able to look at a can of spray paint again without laughing and thinking of you. Thanks for sharing. Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH gosh!! I needed that !! Great laughs :) thank you.. your super fun to share!!
    with a *chuckling* grin,
    steffogal1

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!!! Kathryn I'm laughing so hard i just woke my husband up (he's not laughing though). I hope I can get to sleep now. HEEEEE HEE HAAAA HAAAA. Hope

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brandy, I can just picture you now, in the Krylon section of your local Michael's, chuckling to yourself! :D

    Steff, I'm so glad I could provide a laugh when you needed one! I'm glad I did share ~ I've been having so much fun with the comments on this post! :D

    Oh, Hope, I crossed my fingers that you eventually got to sleep & that your husband wasn't too mad!

    Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete